The South Pennine Group was formed in 1995 and now has an active membership of over 120 members from Sheffield and North Derbyshire. We are all keen gardeners with a passion for growing and propagating hardy perennial plants.
We are all members of the Hardy Plant Society, an international society formed in 1957 and a registered charity (no. 208080). HPS national membership is a requirement for members of our group (see our constitution)
We have a varied and busy programme of activities for our members, including:
- Speakers at our monthly evening meetings (1st Wednesday of each month, excluding August). Many of our speakers are experts in their field and provide excellent presentations or practical demonstrations e.g. of propagation techniques. As of February 2022 we are meeting in person again.
- Regular garden visits during spring and summer (see Programme for details of our garden visits.
- A summer coach trip to visit gardens further afield (we hope to have a coach trip in summer 2022 - details are still to be agreed).
- Two plant sales at Sheffield Botanical Gardens (in May and September - both open to the public). Check out the Plant Sales information for more details on when the next sale will be happening.
- A twice-yearly newsletter.
Membership of South Pennine Group is £5 for one member and £8 for two at the same address. Please contact us to find out more.
Non-members are welcome to come to one of our evening meetings when we can hold face to face meetings again (£3 per visitor).
Our group participates in the HPS Conservation scheme and members are encouraged to grow and propagate plants in the scheme.